Kickin' it

Just to prove that I literally eat, sleep and breathe soccer – apparently in my sleep last night, I started calling out, “Coach! Coach! Coach!”


Neighborhood kids
One thing that’s cool about Mali, is that people love to hang around and just chill and chat. And that’s exactly what we did today. I slept in this morning while Scott went to a meeting with Peace Corps members, and then went with him to hang out at Yacouba’s house. We had lunch, rice with peanut sauce, which was exactly what I needed to get back on track with my stomach after the Chinese food debacle. (“It will give you strength,” Yacouba informed me before I ate. And he was right. Plus, it was delicious. Mali is quickly going to become my new comfort food).


The wall says "50 cent clan"
Then we just sat outside and watched TV and a DVD containing a slideshow of Scott’s previous trips to Mali. A number of kids watched with us, and took great pleasure in excitedly pointing out themselves and their friends and family when they showed up on the screen. Before we left to head back to the hotel, Sekou and I kicked around with a few neighborhood kids on Yacouba’s street. (All across the streets in Bamako, “crews” write their names on walls with spray paint. They’re usually in English, with slightly off names – e.g. 50 cent clan, the gorgeous boys.) It was great to finally get to kick a ball around after watching from the sideline. We played keep away, and a lot of the other neighborhood kids came to watch. We were all covered in dust from the street by the time we finished.

When Scott and I got back to the hotel, we went downstairs with Drew to a fast food joint we usually buy water from. I ate an AWESOME shredded chicken sandwich with onions and French fries stuffed into delicious bread. I don’t know why, but it was one of the best things I’ve ever had…and it was 2 bucks. I love Mali.

The kids are so much fun to hang around
Tomorrow we’re off to Dissan, where we’ll be hosting our second Little Eagles tournament. Insha’Allah, it will go as well as the first, if not better. I’ll be without internet until Tuesday, so I’ll check back in as soon as we get back.

In the meantime, be sure to check out the new videos I’ve posted of the Bamako tourney.

Over and out.

 -S
Getting schooled in street football

POSTED IN
DISCUSSION 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.