Countdown

It just wouldn't be a proper sending off in an Italian family without a big dinner, would it? (Ca, you technically got the first trivia question wrong, so I get to post this picture :P )


After 3 days of eating excessive amounts of holiday food and countless numbers of Nani's cookies/pies/pastries/cakes/panettone/various other assorted yum-yums, and enjoying quality time with my incredible family and friends, I think I'm finally ready to roll onto the plane (which is less than 24 hours away!). With all the holiday activities the past couple weeks, it hasn't even really hit me that I'll be in Africa within the next 48 hours. Most of the conversations I've had recently have been along these lines:

Friend/family member/person I just met: So when are you leaving?
Me: 1 week/4 days/a couple days/tomorrow
(or, at the party I just came in from) Me: Later today

I honestly have no idea what to expect from this trip. Africa is completely new to me, and as I've traveled to Asia, Europe, and South America before, I've learned that each is uniquely different, and no book, movie, or story can fully prepare you for the experience. But that's what makes traveling so wonderful.

I just want to say before I head to bed (Mom, please don't look at the time I posted this, I promise that I got enough sleep) that I am extremely grateful for all of the positive words and well wishes that I've received from everyone that has engaged me in the conversation I mentioned above. The stories, advice, and good energy you've all given me will no doubt be my greatest asset (along with the piles of granola bars my family gave me for Christmas) as I embark on this new experience, and I hope that I will be able to pay you back to some degree by sharing this experience through this blog.

Oh, and Jackie, save some of that salsa for me so I can try it when I get home. Couldn't risk it with the plane, but everyone said it was delicious.

R

POSTED IN
DISCUSSION 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.